Akrotiri is a village of Santorini, which nowadays has 450 residents. Its story goes far behind in the fourth millennium BC, during which according to archaeological findings the first signs of the Cycladic civilization appeared. A millennium later, the area of Akrotiri goes under the supervision of Minoan power and becomes a Minoan colony. The city was completely destroyed by the volcanic eruption in 1500 BC. Tons of volcanic ash covered the city and this had as a result the city to be preserved in very good condition, just as happened with Pompiia.
Walking in the archaeological site you will find that the architecture of Santorini has not changed significantly since ancient times. Small lanes cross from one side to the other the ancient settlement. Beneath those pavements there was a huge construction of the city’s sewage system which was connected to every home. Houses were built in two and three storey levels. The ground floor was usually a shop or laboratory. However, what rendered Akrotiri of significant importance and famous to the world are the only frescoes. In some cases the paintings are preserved in excellent condition.